UA Local 434 Training Newsletter
Click Here to download/print the letter.
UA Local 434 Training
Fall 2020 Newsletter
Dear Members of Local 434,
Enclosed is the new training schedule for the Fall Semester of 2020. Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all courses are subject to change. Your instructor will be reviewing our policies and procedures at the first class. Safety precautions are in place to keep all our members safe. We are all expected to follow these procedures.
Log on to our website at www.ualocal434.org to view the schedule and sign up for classes. If you are unable to log in please contact us. We have a Facebook page, so if you have one, please "LIKE" our Facebook page - UA LOCAL 434 TRAINING. We will have class updates and other info posted often. Go to https://uanet.org for information on your certifications and online UA course offerings such as an AWS-CWI Prep Course, Auto CAD, Labor History and service related courses (Electrical Controls/Refrigeration Controls/HVACR Star Exam) among others.
Please see below for some other highlights this semester:
Course Sign Up
- YOU MUST SIGN UP TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE START OF CLASS (We need to have time to have materials available for you at the start of class.) Sign up at www.ualocal434.org.
- Classes will be cancelled one week prior to the start of class if not enough members are signed up.
- Expect all classes to utilize Blackboard in some way.
Classroom/Shop Classes – Extra Hours Scheduled
- Extra class hours have been added to classroom/shop instruction to follow the Covid-19 recommendations on social distancing.
- Attendance and assigned days will be discussed at the first class.
UA Industrial Rigging Certification
- If you are planning on taking the Industrial Rigging Certification class this spring, please remember you need the following pre-requisites: Crane Signaling Certification and Rigging & Knot Tying Class/opt-out exam.
- Pre-requisite - All apprentices must complete Local 434 Oxy-Fuel Safety Practices. All members are encouraged to take this class.
- You will be keeping track of your own welding progression in the manual you receive at your 1st welding class.
- You will not be placed on a roster until you have completed the Local 434 Oxy-Fuel Safety Class and sent in your deposit check. You must complete this class at least one week prior to the welding class start date.
- Make check payable to: UA Local 434 Training and mail to the Eau Claire Training Center.
- If you need to drop a welding class that you have signed up for, you must go to the website to cancel your registration at least one week in advance in order to get your deposit check back. If you don’t, your deposit check will be cashed.
- In order to take a UA Weld Test, an ATR will need to approve you.
UA CAD Self Study
- This is a self-study/self-paced independent study class on Auto Cad, Revit and other Auto Desk products. This class is designed to help the beginner to the advanced person with any Auto Desk Programs thru step by step videos.
NITC Medical Gas Re-Certification 4 Hour Class
- You will not be allowed to take your re-certification test without taking this class.
- Effective July 1, 2018 National ITC is requiring a 4 hour class prior to taking your NFPA 99C Medical Gas Re-certification Exam.
- We encourage you to take the class when it is offered, even if your certification doesn’t expire for a while. You can take a refresher, if needed, prior to your exam.
Transition To Trainer
- Classes will be held at least once per year in each Training center. Apprentices will no longer be reimbursed for taking this class at a Technical College.
Coyne First Aid - Re-Certification
Instructors Needed (we would like 2 instructors for each class in each area, so that substitute teachers are available.)
- In order to re-certify please register online at least 4 weeks prior to your expiration date.
- HVAC Instructors needed in All Locations
- Auto CAD - La Crosse and Mosinee
- Rigging Instructor needed in Eau Claire and La Crosse
- Please contact me if you are able to help with any classes in any location
Apprentice Wage Advancements
- Make sure that we have a copy of your current wage advancement, so that our data base is accurate, and if you are sent to a new employer then the correct rate is given. Also, make sure your current employer has your correct rate.
- 4th and 5th year apprentices are now eligible to vote.
UA Local 434 Training Coordinator
715 692-4341 ext. 32